Wednesday 5 September 2012

Most Frequently Used English Expressions (‘sth’ is sth; ‘so’ is someone)


Most Frequently Used English Expressions (‘sth’ is sth; ‘so’ is someone)

about to (do sth) - to be on the point of doing sth
I was about to leave when the phone rang.
according to (so or sth) - as said or told by so, in agreement with sth, in the order of sth, in proportion to sth
According to our teacher, there will be no class next week. We did everything according to the terms of our agreement.
account for (sth) - to provide an explanation or answer for sth
The bad weather accounts for the fact that few people came to the meeting.
after all - considering the fact that sth happened, sth that is usually assumed
"You don't need to phone him. After all, he never phones you."
all of a sudden - suddenly, without advance warning
All of a sudden it became cloudy and began to rain.
as a matter of fact - actually
"As a matter of fact, we have been to the history museum many times."
as far as - to the extent or degree of sth
As far as I know the movie will start in a few minutes.
as for - with regard to, concerning
"As for me, I think that I will return home now."
as if - in the same way that sth would be, that
The drink tastes as if it were made with orange juice. It seemed as if the whole town came to the concert.
as long as - provided that, on condition that
"As long as you promise to be careful you can borrow my car."
as soon as - just after sth, when
I phoned my friend as soon as I finished dinner.
as to - with regard to, according to
"As to your question, I will answer it tomorrow." The players were put into groups as to their ability.
as well - in addition, also, too
I plan to take a computer course this summer as well.
as well as (so or sth) - in addition to so or sth
"Please bring your swimming suit as well as your towel."
back and forth - backwards and forwards, first one way and then the other way
The argument went back and forth before the judge made a decision.
better off - to be in a better situation than before
My friend would be better off if he sold his old car and bought a new one.
break down (sth) - to divide sth into parts, to separate sth into simpler substances
We tried to break down the problem for further study. The sugar began to break down soon after it was swallowed.
break up - to separate, to divide into groups or pieces, to put an end to sth
Nobody wanted to break up their groups. We usually break up into small groups during our class.
by the way - incidentally
"By the way, could you please bring your laptop computer tomorrow."
carry out (sth) - to put sth into action, to accomplish sth, to do sth
The scientist wanted to carry out several experiments before discussing the new medicine.
come on! - please, hurry, go faster
"Come on, I only have a few minutes before I must go." "Come on, stop doing that."
come up - to happen unexpectedly
I will not be able to go to the party if sth else comes up.
come up with (sth) - to produce or find a thought/idea/answer
I tried to come up with a name for the new magazine.
deal with (sth) - to be concerned with sth, to take action about sth
We will deal with the boxes tomorrow.
end up (doing sth or going somewhere) - to do sth that one had not planned to do, to go somewhere one had not planned to go
We ended up going to a restaurant after the movie last night.
figure out (so or sth) - to try to understand so or sth, to solve sth
I finally figured out how to use the new DVD player.
fill in (sth) - to write words in blank spaces
"Please fill in this form and give it to the receptionist."
find out (sth) - to learn or discover sth
My mother is angry at me because she found out that I had quit my French class.
first of all - the very first thing
First of all we prepared the garden and then we planted the seeds.
for good - permanently
The city will close the public swimming pool for good next week.
for sure - without doubt, certainly, surely
"I will go to the movie with you for sure next week."
get back to (sth) - to return to sth
I was happy to get back to my work after my holiday.
get into (sth) - to become interested or involved in sth
I do not want to get into an argument with my friend. We will get into the details of the plan tomorrow.
get into (somewhere) - to enter somewhere
My friend wants to get into a good university. I bumped my head as I was getting into the car.
get out of (somewhere) - to leave somewhere, to escape from somewhere
I want to hurry and get out of my house.
get rid of (sth) - to give or throw sth away, to sell or destroy sth, to make a cold or fever disappear
I bought a new television set so I want to get rid of the old one.
get through (sth) - to complete sth, to finish sth
My friend is having trouble getting through her final exams. I have much reading that I must get through before tomorrow.
go ahead - to begin to do sth
"Let`s go ahead and start now. We can`t wait any longer."
go on - to continue
The game will probably go on for an hour after we leave.
go over (sth) - to examine or review sth
The accountant will go over the books tomorrow. We plan to go over that question tomorrow.
go through (sth) - to discuss sth, to look at sth, to do sth
The teacher decided to go through the exercise before the test.
go with (sth) - to choose one thing rather than another
We decided to go with the small rental car rather than the large one.
hang out (somewhere/with so) - to spend one`s time with no great purpose, to spend leisure time with friends
Recently my friend has been hanging out with a group of people who are not a good influence on him.
have (sth) to do with (sth) - to be about sth, to be on the subject of sth, to be related to sth
"The book has sth to do with cooking but I am not sure if you will like it." That problem has nothing to do with me.
hold on - to wait a minute, to stop, to wait and not hang up the phone
"Please hold on for a minute while I lock the window."
in a way - to a certain extent, a little, somewhat
In a way I want to go to the new restaurant but in a way I don`t really care.
in case - if, if sth should happen
I will take my umbrella in case it rains.
in common - shared together or equally, in use or ownership by all
I had nothing in common with the other members of the class.
in detail - giving all the details, item by item
The saleswoman explained about the new product in detail.
in effect - for practical purposes, basically
The man's silence was in effect a way of disagreeing with the other people in the meeting.
in fact - actually, the truth is
The man has been to China before. In fact he has been there three times.
in favor of (so or sth) - to approve or support so or sth
Everybody is in favor of the new police chief. My company is not in favor of changing our holiday schedule.
in general - in most situations or circumstances
In general, most of the people in our apartment are happy with the new manager.
in order to - for the purpose of
They have decided to close down the school for the summer in order to do some major repairs.
in other words - in a different (usually more direct) way
"In other words, if you do not finish the assignment by Wednesday you will not pass the course."
in place - in the proper place or location
Everything in the room was in place when we arrived for the meeting.
in some ways - in some unspecified way or manner, by some unspecified means
In some ways I know what my friend means but in some ways I do not.
in terms of (sth) - with regard to sth
In terms of our agreement with the other company we were not allowed to sell the products online.
in time - early enough
I did not come home in time to meet my cousin.
keep (so or sth) in mind - to remember and think about so or sth
I told my co-workers to keep the new starting time for work in mind.
kind of - somewhat, more or less, moderately
I was kind of tired when I arrived home last night.
look for (sth) - to try to find sth, to hunt/search for sth
My friend has been looking for her credit card all morning but she can`t find it.
look up (sth) - to search for sth in a dictionary or other book
I will look up my friend's name in the telephone book. I looked up the word in the dictionary.
make a difference - to cause a change in a situation
It does not make a difference whether our boss comes to the meeting or not.
make sense - to seem reasonable
His new proposal really does make sense.
make sure - to make certain, to establish sth without a doubt
I want to make sure that my friend is going to meet me tomorrow.
more or less - somewhat, to some extent
I more or less have decided to study business next year.
no matter - regardless
No matter how hard that I try, my piano teacher is never satisfied.
not at all - certainly not
I am not at all happy with my new computer.
of course - certainly, definitely, naturally
"Of course you can use my car if you want to."
on the other hand - however, in contrast, looking at the opposite side of a matter
He is very intelligent but on the other hand he is very lazy and always gets low marks at school.
on time - at the scheduled time, exactly at the correct time, punctually
Our train arrived exactly on time.
once again - again, one more time, once more
I tried once again to phone my boss at his home .
open to (sth) - to be agreeable to learn or hear about new ideas or suggestions
Most members of the class were open to the teacher's ideas.
pick up (sth) - to get or receive sth
I will pick up my dry cleaning tomorrow. I picked up a copy of the newspaper at the station.
point out (so or sth) - to explain or call attention to so or sth
My teacher was very kind when she pointed out the mistakes that I had made.
put out (sth) - to produce or make sth (a roduct/brochure/report/CD/movie/paper)
The company puts out a newsletter every month for the employees.
regardless of (sth) - without considering or thinking about sth, without regard to sth
Regardless of the weather we are going to go fishing tomorrow morning.
right away - immediately
"I forgot to bring my book but I will go home and get it right away."
rule out (so or sth) - to decide against or eliminate so or sth
The police ruled out the man as a possible bank robber. We decided to rule out Monday as the day to have our meeting.
run into (sth - a fact/trouble/problems/difficulty) - to experience sth, to encounter sth
The mechanic ran into trouble when he was fixing my car. I ran into some interesting facts when I was researching my essay.
set up (sth) - to establish sth, to provide the money for sth
The newspaper company provided the money to set up the new travel magazine. The company set up a unique situation to test the new product.
show up - to appear, to arrive, to be present
"What time did your friend show up for the party?"
so far - until now
So far no one has entered the speech contest at the television station.
so to speak
- as one might or could say, this is one way to say sth
We had a good time at the restaurant, so to speak, although the service was not very good.
sort of (sth) - to be almost sth, to be similar to sth, to be not quite sth
"Did you finish cleaning the kitchen?" "Sort of, but not really."
stick with (sth) - to continue doing sth, to not quit sth
My brother has been able to stick with his trumpet lessons since he was a child.
take advantage of (so or sth) - to use so or sth for one's own benefit
We took advantage of the beautiful weather and went to the beach.
take care of (so or sth) - to look after or give attention to so or sth
You should take care of your health or you will become sick.
take out (sth) - to remove sth from somewhere, to extract sth
The teacher told us to take out our books. I took out some onions from the refrigerator.
take over (sth) - to take control of sth, to take command of sth
The large company wants to take over some of the small companies in our area.
take place - to happen, to occur
The soccer game took place on the coldest day of the year.
to the extent that - to the degree that, in so far as
I plan to provide information about the new company policy to the extent that I am familiar with it.
turn in (sth) - to give sth to so, to hand sth to so
I arrived at school early so that I could turn in my essay.
turn out - to be found or known, to prove to be true
It turned out that more people came to the party than we expected.
up to - until, as far as a certain point, approaching a certain point
Up to last week, I had never been inside a bowling alley. There were probably up to thirty people at the meeting.
up to (so) to decide/do (sth) - to be responsible to choose or decide sth
It is up to the company president to decide when the meeting will start.
used to - accustomed to
My friend is not used to living in such a big city.
with respect to (sth) - referring to sth, concerning sth
I do not know what the company will do with respect to the old computer system.
work out (for the best) - to end successfully
I hope that everything will work out for my friend when she moves to London next week.
Frequently Used English Idioms - I
 
as easy as pie -- very easy (same as "a piece of cake") 
He said it is a difficult problem, but I don't agree. It seems as easy as pie to me!
be sick and tired of  -- I hate (also "can't stand") 
I'm sick and tired of doing nothing but work. Let's go out tonight and have fun.
bend over backwards -- try very hard (maybe too much!) 
He bent over backwards to please his new wife, but she never seemed satisfied.
bite off more than one can chew  -- take responsibility for more than one can manage
John is so far behind in his studies. Besides classes, he plays sports and works at a part-time job. It seems he has bitten off more than he can chew.
broke -- to have no money 
I have to borrow some money from my Dad. Right now, I'm broke.
change one's mind -- decide to do sth different from what had been decided earlier 
I was planning to work late tonight, but I changed my mind. I'll do extra work on the weekend instead.
Cut it out! -- stop doing sth bad
That noise is really annoying. Cut it out!
drop someone a line -- send a letter or email to someone 
I hope we can see each other again. Drop me a line when you have time.
figure sth out -- come to understand a problem 
I don't understand how to do this problem. Take a look at it. Maybe you can figure it out.
fill in for someone -- do their work while they are away 
While I was away from the store, my brother filled in for me.
give someone a hand -- help 
I want to move this desk to the next room. Can you give me a hand?
hit the hay means "go to bed" (also "hit the sack") 
It's after 12 o'clock. I think it's time to hit the hay.
If you get lost, just ask me for directions. I know this part of town like the back of my hand
in ages means "for a very long time" 
Have you seen Joe recently? I haven't seen him in ages.
in the black -- "the business is making money, it is profitable" 
Our business is really improving. We've been in the black all year.
in the nick of time -- not too late, but very close!
I got to the drugstore just in the nick of time. It's a good thing, because I really need this medicine!
in the red -- the business is losing money, it is unprofitable
Business is really going poorly these days. We've been in the red for the past three months.
keep one's chin up -- remain brave and keep on trying
I know things have been difficult for you recently, but keep your chin up. It will get better soon.
know sth like the back of your hand -- know sth very, very well
I know this city like the back of your hand
once in a while -- sometimes, not very often
Have you been to the new movie theater? No, only see movies once in a while.
sharp -- exactly at a that time 
I'll meet you at 9 o'clock sharp. If you're late, we'll be in trouble!
sleep on it -- think about sth before making a decision
That sounds like a good deal, but I'd like to sleep on it before I give you my final decision.
to get the ball rolling -- start sth, especially sth big
We need to get this project started as soon as possible. I'm hoping you will help me get the ball rolling.
up to the minute means "the most recent information" 
I wish I knew more about what is happening in the capital city. We need more up to the minute news.
Frequently Used English Idioms - II
 
24/7 -- Twenty-four hours a day; seven days a week; all the time; constantly 
My little sister irritates me 24/7!
A short fuse -- A quick temper 
Jamie is known for his short fuse; just a few days ago he screamed at his coach for not letting him play.
A taste of your own medicine -- Bad treatment deservedly received for treating other people badly 
After constantly being prank-called, Julian decided to give Juan a taste of his own medicine and ordered twenty-seven pizzas to be delivered to Juan’s house.
Butterflies in my stomach -- To be nervous 
Liam had butterflies in his stomach before he went on stage to play the violin.
Cat got your tongue? -- Can’t you speak? (Usually said to embarrass the other person) 
I just saw you kissing my boyfriend. What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?
Down for the count -- Tired; giving up; unable or unwilling to participate any longer. 
No, you can’t take my dog for a walk – she’s down for the count after chasing cats all day.
Draw the line -- To stop; to know the point where sth goes from okay to not okay. 
Now I draw the line at speaking in front of 34,000 people.
Easier said than done -- Not as easy as it appears to be. 
You want me to come to work at 6:00 AM? Easier said than done!
Every cloud has a silver lining -- You can find good in every bad situation 
Even though you just got fired, remember that every cloud has a silver lining – at least you don’t have to work for that grouchy boss anymore!
Finding a needle in a haystack -- Virtually impossible to find 
Trying to get a new job these days is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Fish out of water -- To be out of place 
Tom felt like a fish out of water at the Star Trek convention his new girlfriend begged him to attend.
Get sth off your chest -- To talk about sth that has been bothering you for a long time; to admit sth you have done wrong 
I have to get this off my chest – I copied your answers from the test. Thanks for the “D” by the way.
Give it a whirl -- To try sth
I’ve never gone kite-boarding, but I’m prepared to give it a whirl!
In the fast lane -- A life filled with excitement 
When Curtis turned forty, he decided he needed to live life in the fast lane, so he quit his job as a dentist and decided to tour Europe by motorcycle.
In the nick of time -- Almost too late 
You came to pick me up in the nick of time – my teacher just saw me skipping class and was on his way to give me detention.
Let the cat out of the bag -- Tell a secret 
Brady’s surprise party is going to be great if you don’t let the cat out of the bag.
Lose your marbles -- To go crazy; insane 
Our professor has really lost his marbles; he assigned us seven essays this week!
Once in a blue moon -- Rarely 
In Florida, the temperature drops below freezing only once in a blue moon.
Plain as day -- Obvious; clear 
It’s plain as day that you’re in love with her, so just admit it.
Play second fiddle -- To be less important 
I hate playing second fiddle to my sister; she always does things better than I do!
Put your foot in your mouth -- Saying sth you shouldn’t have 
Jessica really put her foot in her mouth when she asked about John’s job right after he lost it.
Sick and tired -- To be bothered or annoyed by 
She is sick and tired of her dog chewing up her shoes every day.
Sleep on it -- To think about sth for a while before making a decision 
Don’t tell me whether you’ll move to Texas with me or not today. Sleep on it, and get back to me tomorrow.
Snug as a bug in a rug -- Warm and cozy; content 
That baby looks as snug as a bug in a rug cuddled up next to his mother.
Stick your nose into sth -- To interfere 
Sharon always sticks her nose into everyone else’s business.
Straight from the horse’s mouth -- Directly from the person involved 
Listen to the news straight from the horse’s mouth; we’re all getting bonuses this week!
Take it easy -- Relax 
I know you’re not feeling well, so try to take it easy today.
Tip of the iceberg --The small easily visible part of a larger problem 

To not see the wood for the trees -- To be so involved with the details that you don’t get the most important facts 
She always argues about the silliest things; it’s like she can’t see the wood for the trees.
Piece of cakesth is very easy to complete.
Costs an arm and a legsth that is very expensive.
Hit the nail on the head –saying sth that is precisely right.
When pigs flysth that will never happen
You can’t judge a book by its cover –you should not decide upon sth based just on outward appearances.
Scratch someone’s back –to help someone out with the assumption that they will return the favor in the future!







0 comments:

Post a Comment